Totem problems following FedUp upgrade

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 11:04:29 UTC 2013

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 06:48:25 +0000, Dave Cross wrote:

> Installing the missing gstreamer1 packages didn't solve the problem.
> But from some googling I found the advice to reinstall
> gstreamer1-plugins-base and gstreamer1-plugins-good. And that seems to
> have done the trick.

Dubious. I wish people would stop suggesting that reinstalling packages
fixes something. Seldomly it does. For example, when the installed files
have been damaged or deleted, which is something RPM can check. Then
reinstalling the packages restores the files. Or when the packages contain
install-time scripts, which process something (that is not the case here,
however). More often than not, reinstalling packages does not change
anything at all.

Reinstalling gstreamer1-plugins-base and gstreamer1-plugins-good (both
packages from Fedora) is very unlikely to fix decoding of MPEG and MP3.

--
Fedora release 18 (Spherical Cow) - Linux 3.7.2-204.fc18.x86_64
loadavg: 0.00 0.03 0.11