fedora-upgrade from F17->F18 (mostly successful, but some issues)

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Jan 21 18:53:49 UTC 2013

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:28:12 -0500 "Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."
<eoconnor25 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I too was going to install F18...but I will wait until F19 or F20 before
> I move forward....I have way too much riding on this laptop working
> properly...and since it's an "old" Gateway....I'd rather not have to
> deal with various problems.....issues...and "broken" things....so no
> "18" for me...as long as there's going to be a Gnome 3.x version for
> Fedora I'll always use it...just not when it becomes too buggy....
>

> EGO II
> --

Many of us (like you) do use our linux (Fedora) machines for work (and
largely so). Some of us also happen to believe in the philosophy and
value of OSS. However, the software can only improve if we try them out
and provide feedback. Therefore, it is important for us to try these
out and report. Our feedback is valuable to the developers whose work
is of greater value and should be appreciated. Both together lead to
value in the OSS world.

As an aside, I would have preferred a rolling release model with a
snapshot (these could be the releases every six months) once in a while.
This keeps packages more stable and also guards against the mad rush to
somehow get a release out (to Fedora's credit, they did do a 2.5-month
delay to get 18 right, but it appears that they should have waited much
more. Of course, the rolling release model is not something that Fedora
developers have decided to go for, and they do have the final say in
this matter (as they should: of course I hope they pause to reconsider).

In my mind, the biggest issue with F18 is the installer which has been
commented on, and which puts things like disk partitioning under the
rug. Perhaps the goal is to mimic other popular (by ways of mob vote)
OS's, but some of us have never used anything other than a unix/linux
system and these users should not have to pay the price for not
expecting to use days of agony to upgrade a system, as I happily note my
friends in these other OS-worlds do.

As another aside, about ten or so years ago, I was given to understand
that if a package moved to 1.0, it would be stable in perpetuity, in
the sense that old methods would continue to work with minor changes if
at all. I don't know if I misunderstood but this was a good model to go
by, in my opinion.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional