The changing Fedora

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 05:52:36 UTC 2013

I know the changes that Fedora is going through are supposed to be for
the better and I can't argue against that as I'm not an OS dev. I'm
sure some of this stuff does make Fedora better.  Listed below are
some of the changes. I may have forgotten some stuff and I may have
gotten some stuff wrong.

In no particular order:

sysv init -> systemd
rsyslogd -> journal +systemd
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdMessageCatalog)
udev -> systemd+udev
display manager selection -> systemd
iptables -> firewalld
cron -> systemd Calander
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemdCalendarTimers)
anaconda -> fedup + new anaconda
eth0, eth1 -> something else
unifying many separate dirs into /usr
changing first uid/gid 500 -> 1000
grub -> grub2
/tmp mounted tmpfs
intro of new  /run dir

I know some of the old methods still work, but the idea is the new way
is to eventually replace the old. As a sys admin I have *many* hours
invested in learning the OS. I'm not against learning new stuff,
provided there is a benefit, but I must admit I'm having trouble
keeping up.

--
Robert Arkiletian