The changing Fedora

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 11:31:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Jorge Fábregas
<jorge.fabregas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/22/2013 01:52 AM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>>  but I must admit I'm having trouble keeping up.
>
> You're not alone there!  And for me, since I'm still on Fedora 14,
> there's also GNOME 3!
>
> I will install F18 in the next couple of weeks.  I've always used Fedora
> every 4 releases (that's a new version every 2 years roughly). That
> means I'll have updates for one year and the next year I'm on my own
> (thanks to the Remi repo and others I can extend that extra year).
>
> Anyhow, I mention this because indeed this is the VERY first time that
> I'm feeling like you (having a tough time trying to keep up).  I've
> always used to read the "Release Notes" of all the 3 releases I missed
> plus the new one I'm about to install and I could keep up.  This time
> I'm facing ALL the new changes you mentioned and,  since I'm already
> feeling overwhelmed, I decided to skip the learning of some new stuff
> for later:
>
> - I just learned I can disable firewalld and use my iptables scripts
> - I can install MATE and face GNOME 3 some time in the future
>
> That's the way I'll be dealing with all of this.
>
> In the end, if someone's a typical home user, who mainly use the web
> browser and doesn't care how things work behind the scenes,  perhaps
> this won't bother him at all.  I'm not like that.
>
> --
> Jorge

How on earth are you still running F14. I thought the repos would be
closed. I have just started using Fedora after having used *buntu. F17
was fine until i discovered that in fact F18 should have been out
before Xmas. I find the 6 month releases counter productive i feel now
after 5 years of using linux. Always keen to point out the benefits
but i feel that a release is out on a certain date and that's it.

I've switched to a rolling release this week and i'll see how i get on
with that. F18 imo isn't worth putting on.

james