fedora 16, ext4 corruption

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue Jan 22 11:32:30 UTC 2013

On 01/22/2013 12:08 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else seeing problems with F16 ext4? I recently moved my
> install onto a new harddisc (which is reporting SMART is fine after
> running a full test) and did that by making a new ext4 fs (previously
> ext3) then rsyncing across. I'm now seeing occasional system 'freezes'
> (not hard freezes, but programs can fail to start or freeze. Yesterday
> the desktop completely stopped, but I was able to switch to a virtual
> console). dmesg reports errors to do with failing to write the journal
> and remounting read-only. On reboot an fsck is required, which finds
> some fixable problems. Obviously I'm wondering if it's the OS or the
> new disc. Was planning an F18 install soon which might help with one
> problem but not the other.
> Don't know if it's the 'ext4 data corruption bug' or if that's been
> fixed. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIxNDQ

Try running memtest for a few hours.
If the machine is not completely stable (e.g. bad ram), your rsync
copy could have damaged random bits in executable files and created
more instability than before (when maybe it was not noticeable).

rsync some stuff multiple times when using -c.
If files are magically changing with no reason, the RAM (or CPU,
power supply, ...) is not ok.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it