The changing Fedora

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 22 16:40:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 15:11 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:

> Actually the grub2 install thing should not affect dual-booting
> windows.

You're right, it doesn't. I can dual boot Windows just fine with grub2.
I was responding to the comment that there is no reason to ever need a
native boot when a VM would do.

>  From what I understand (I've never used this setup myself)
> some people multi-boot linux versions by having separate /boot and a
> partition-installed grub for each one

I used to do that so that I could hibernate Linux and then boot Windows,
later thawing Linux. This was necessary because when there was a
hibernate image present, Linux used to immediately boot the matching
kernel without presenting the grub menu, so when Linux was hibernated,
it was impossible to boot any other OS. I got around that by having grub
in a partition and using a chainloader statement to load it from the
disk's boot sector. I believe this was done to make sure the user didn't
select the wrong kernel, which would trash the hibernation image and
require a cold boot. Since the switch to grub2, I now get the usual menu
regardless of whether or not there is a hibernation image present, so I
no longer need to install grub in a partition.

--Greg