The changing Fedora

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 17:18:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> one reason more to have one priamry OS and use virtualization
> for anything else these days where the virt-overhead is nearly
> zero and in many cases virtual machines are faster than physical
> setups

That is only partially accurate on CPUs that feature hardware
virtualization support (AMD-V or Intel VT-x). The other day just for
kicks I tried installing the latest Ubuntu virtualized on a Atom based
Netbook running XP SP3, and it took about two hours just to install...
performance could be described as "slow as molasses". ;). But yes, I
guess that if you use a Quad-core with AMD-V or VT-x and 8 gigs of
ram, things would be almost seamless.

Which reminds me of something.... I noticed that the latest Ubuntu
features an optional kernel ("Linux-virt" package) that is supposedly
optimized for running Linux virtualized.... is there such a package in
Fedora? (never looked, just thinking aloud :).

TIA
FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell