recommendations for SSD drive as first disk for fedora 18?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Jan 22 17:29:36 UTC 2013

>    after a while living with ubuntu, i'm moving back to fedora as of
> F18, and would like some advice.  i have an ASUS G74S with twin 750G
> drives, but i want to replace the boot drive with an SSD, and install
> F18 in such a way as to maximize the benefit of the SSD for booting
> and (mostly) R/O storage.
>
>    a lot of my time will be spent doing lengthy compiles (kernel,
> openembedded), so in addition to system content on the SSD, i'll want
> to keep all of my source there as well, while the build directories
> will be on the regular drive.
>
>    is there a recommendation for installing F18 in terms of separating
> what's appropriate for the SSD versus what isn't?  most of that is
> fairly obvious, just wondering if anyone wrote up something about
> their experience doing just that and how well it worked for them.
> thanks.
>
> rday

I have has an OCZ-VERTEX3 as my primary drive for about a year now, and
it has been awesome.

What was most impressive was installing some various virtual machines
for work testing.

The first time I saw my new Fedora 17 VM boot in less than 3 seconds, I
knew I had a winner. :)  And when it was shut down, it literally
'blinked' off.  It was amazing.

I highly recommend a SSD for Linux.  The mount command is generally
smart enough to select what needs to be done.

/etc/fstab says:

UUID=32ce7d57-5c81-4e4f-9bbb-91e5cde5db3b / ext4    defaults        1 1

but it actually mounts with:

(rw,relatime,data=ordered)

Go for it!