Do people still install from CDs ?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Jan 22 21:52:22 UTC 2013

________________________________
 From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 9:14 AM
Subject: Do people still install from CDs ?

Do most people install Fedora from CDs?
This seem to be the default in all the Fedora-18 documentation I have seen.
I would have thought installation from USB stick was more popular now.
I have a couple of computers with no CD reader;
isn't that becoming the norm?

The trend toward USB-stick installation methods likely will continue.  However,
to the extent that hardware and software become less capable of working with
a wide range of various options, the less satisfactory the resulting system becomes.

The general trend toward cloud computing with lighter, dumber gear may be convenient,
and likely will be profitable for some, but for many people, it is a suboptimal development.

Caveat.