humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jan 23 14:51:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 08:41:31 -0600,
   Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

>Therefore, I would like to suggest that Fedora put this current
>installer (F18) in abeyance and re-roll the release using the old
>installer while the new one is fixed for F19 (after responding to the
>feedback generated thus far). I am not sure how an update to the
>installer in F18 will help since an install is needed for an update and
>once updated, there is no need for the installer. The main benefit to
>Fedora for such an approach will be that all the other features
>introduced in F18 can be tried and evaluated.

The old installer won't work in F18. Anaconda is tightly coupled to several
other packages which changed for f18. To accomodate this the old anaconda
would have needed a number of changes to get it to work with f18. That is
a significant factor in why we didn't fall back to using the old anaconda
for f18. Given the limited anaconda developer resources are needed to work
on improving the new installer, it is very unlikely anyone will update
the installer used for f17 to get it to work for f18.

You should be able to use a yum update to go from f17 to f18 without too
much trouble.

There could easily be fedup improvements which would get brought back to
f17. You should be sure the problems you were having with it are logged
in bugzilla.