color ssh/sftp -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 23 14:57:50 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 09:36 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>     I think we have a problem with text encoding or something? Your
>> >    message contains odd characters.
>> >
>> >    This is a new F-18 and Thunderbird installation and I am trying to
>> >    copy and paste from your message, obviously there is a problem that
>> >    I have not seen before.
>> >
> google: "bash promt color"
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/bash-shell-change-the-color-of-my-shell-prompt-under-linux-or-unix/
>
> STRG+F -> "To set a red color prompt, type the command"

    Ok, on a different F-18 computer, I retrieved your message from the
    archives and copy/pasted from there.

    The initial problem was the final quotation mark ["] was missing so
    it did not run right off, and the more I messed with it the worse
    things got due to the strange characters.

    Working from the archive:

    [root at Box9 bobg]# PS1="\[\033[1;31m\][\u@\h:\w]$\[\033[0m\]"

    Changes the prompt to red,

    Thank you for the help.

    Sorry about the problems, I still don't know what's causing the odd
    characters on the other computer but will investigate.

    Bob

    --

    http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

    box9