a list of Fedora 18 package names?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Jan 23 15:54:38 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 04:26 PM, Chris Adams wrote:

> To expand: when clients browse to a directory, the webserver daemon has
> to generate a directory listing (usually sorted, which means the daemon
> has to retrieve the whole directory into memory, sort it, and then
> generate the HTML to send to the client).  With large directories, that
> blocks that webserver process/thread for a noticable time.  A relatively
> small number of requests can slow down and/or block other access.

Only if the filesystem really sucks.
Sorting and generation is done (or... must be done) in an instant; we are talking
about 25,000 stupid strings.

If I test

wget http://fedora.inode.at/fedora/linux/releases/16/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/

which is a unified package dir, I'm not able to see any delay between
the "connect" and the "saving" phase.
And if 100 users are hitting the big dir, you have filesystem caching
helping you a lot.

Best regards.
   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it