Missing Functionality in New Anaconda

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 23 16:26:05 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 23 January 2013, Dave Cross sent:
> I have a separate /home partition which contains all of my important
> data. Therefore I want to do a new installation of Fedora 18 but reuse
> the existing /home partition. In the old Anaconda that was simple. I'd
> just use set up a customised partition layout, telling it to reuse the
> /home partition and to do what it wanted with the rest of the disk.

When I used to do the same thing, on older releases, I didn't try to get
the installer to make use of my old home partition.  I'd set it to
ignore them, completely.  I'd pick the other partition(s) to install the
new release into, let it just create a home directory in the root of the
tree, as it will do by default.  Then, post installation, I'd mount the
old home partition on top of the new home directory.

I'd rather the installer left prior partitions completely alone.  I
don't want them doing anything to them, such as format them.  Yes, I
know there were tick boxes for format/not-format selected partitions,
but mistakes are easy to make.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.11-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 17 22:16:35 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.