rsync (ssh) authorisation weirdness on F18

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 23 16:30:36 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 23 January 2013, William Murray sent:
> in ./NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ and looks at new network
> connections.
> If it sees one machine some criteria it calls a backup script
> in /etc/cron.daily/ which rsyncs various directories between my laptop
> and a desktop machine. This worked will in F17 and many
> previous versions.
>     In F18 the rsync command fails to connect:
>   dbus-daemon[938]: Could not create directory '/root/.ssh'.
>   dbus-daemon[938]: Host key verification failed.
>
> If I run either of the scripts as root interactively then they work.
> But not when NetworkManager tries  to run them. Any idea what might be
> wrong? Both end already have /root/.ssh, so this error confuses me.

First thought:  The scripts run by the dispatcher probably aren't being
run as the root user.

Second thought, unrelated to the problem, but a common enough gotcha for
any automatically run scripts:  Sometimes scripts don't run in the same
environment as you're used to, as a user.  So it can be better to write
the full path to any command, rather than just use the command name, and
hope that it's in the search path of the script's environment.  /bin
probably is, but you never know with /sbin, and the various ones
inside /usr.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.11-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 17 22:16:35 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.