rsync (ssh) authorisation weirdness on F18

William Murray bill.murray at cern.ch
Wed Jan 23 17:53:31 UTC 2013

   Thanks>>
>On 23/01/13 08:26, William Murray wrote:Allegedly, on or about 23 January 2013, William Murray sent:
>>/  in ./NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ and looks at new network
/>>/  connections.
/>>/  If it sees one machine some criteria it calls a backup script
/>>/  in /etc/cron.daily/ which rsyncs various directories between my laptop
/>>/  and a desktop machine. This worked will in F17 and many
/>>/  previous versions.
/>>/      In F18 the rsync command fails to connect:
/>>/    dbus-daemon[938]: Could not create directory '/root/.ssh'.
/>>/    dbus-daemon[938]: Host key verification failed.
/>>/
/>>/  If I run either of the scripts as root interactively then they work.
/>>/  But not when NetworkManager tries  to run them. Any idea what might be
/>>/  wrong? Both end already have /root/.ssh, so this error confuses me.
/>
>First thought:  The scripts run by the dispatcher probably aren't being
>run as the root user.

Thanks...I tried echoing the output of 'whois' but that says root.

>Second thought, unrelated to the problem, but a common enough gotcha for
>any automatically run scripts:  Sometimes scripts don't run in the same
>environment as you're used to, as a user.  So it can be better to write
>the full path to any command, rather than just use the command name, and
>hope that it's in the search path of the script's environment.  /bin
>probably is, but you never know with /sbin, and the various ones
>inside /usr.

The thing is that rsync is being run - does it matter how?. I dug a bit
deeper though, and turned up the debug on sshd on the server, and diffed the output.

I see 'good' and 'bad' attempts are the same up to
"expecting SSH2_MGG_NEWKEYS received [preauth]"
but that then a login launched by NetworkManager says
"Connection closed by XXX.YYY.ZZZ.??? [preauth]"
while one from me logged in as root says:
  "SSH2_MGG_NEWKEYS received [preauth]"

Does this give any clues?
     Bill

--
Bill Murray                     ----                       ATLAS
STFC RAL at: Bat 40 4-C28, CERN,1211 Meyrin, Geneve 23, Switzerland