Missing Functionality in New Anaconda

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jan 23 19:00:09 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 09:38 AM, Andras Simon wrote:
> 2013/1/23, Dave Cross <davorg at gmail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
>> I have a separate /home partition which contains all of my important
>> data. Therefore I want to do a new installation of Fedora 18 but reuse
>> the existing /home partition. In the old Anaconda that was simple. I'd
>> just use set up a customised partition layout, telling it to reuse the
>> /home partition and to do what it wanted with the rest of the disk.
>> But I can't work out how to do that on the new version of Anaconda.
>> The new partitioning sets up this artificial distinction between the
>> old Fedora 17 installation and the new Fedora 18 one and I can't see
>> how to tell the new installation to use a partition from the old one.
> It's all quite confusing, but these may help:
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/Installation_Guide/s1-diskpartsetup-x86.html
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/Installation_Guide/s1-diskpartitioning-x86.html
>
>> I accept that this probably isn't a really common use case, but it
>> seems a shame to lose functionality that some of your users are using.
> I'd be surprised if it was not a common use case...

Actually there is a LOT in the /home/user directory that can be version
specific.  All those dot directories.  From F15 to F16 for gnome 2 to 3
would have been VERY painful.

I rsync all my data to an external drive, do a total install.  Make sure
it is working.  Install other stuff I want, THEN rsync the data back.  I
guess I got burned some time ago on this and once burned...