Fedora Live CD Spins - Are They Safe?

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 02:50:42 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 09:18 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 24.01.2013 03:10, schrieb Temlakos:
>> Everyone:
>>
>> I'm trying to sort out the rumors I've heard. Among other things: that using a Live Spin CD on an existing Fedora
>> system is not safe, and will destroy all data.
>>
>> Has that actually happened to anyone here?
>> What is the safest way to upgrade an existing system from F17->F18?
> official: fedup
> reality: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_17_-.3E_Fedora_18

That's what I was after: reality. And reality is that at least fifty
percent of all users are fed up with fedup.

Now then: I set myself up as a "sudoer." (That is, I'm a member of group
"wheel" and can issue "sudo" commands.)

Why does the method you linked to, recommend using the "su" method, that
is, "becoming root" with every single command?

Do those commands not respond to "sudo"?

FInally: I sense that I don't really have all the written commands.
Should I use the fedora-upgrade script?

Thanks.

Temlakos