Fedora Live CD Spins - Are They Safe?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Jan 24 03:27:28 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 07:12 PM, jonc wrote:
>   It's a perfectly valid way to list commands that need to be run as
> root when you're writing a tutorial, without making any assumptions
> about the skill level of the user.

I would have seen nothing wrong with using sudo before each command
because that's how sudo works.  I don't use it myself because I got into
the habit of using su long before sudo came with any distro I used, but
I see nothing wrong with it being used in a tutorial where, as you point
out, you can't know your readers skill level.  (I sometimes get the
impression that there are Linux users who are aware of su but are afraid
to use it, possibly because they started out on Ubuntu.  I don't judge
them; I just shrug and get on with whatever I'm doing.)