Acer V5-171 and Fedora 18

Artifex Maximus artifexor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 09:40:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 20 January 2013, Artifex Maximus sent:
>> This laptop has Windows 8 preinstalled and I am not able to install
>> Fedora 18 with Secure Boot enabled or disabled. Similar problem with
>> other distribution. Looks like stuck at GRUB loader.
>
> Your last sentence sounds more like won't boot, than won't install.

Thanks for your answer. Right but without boot cannot install and
stucked in GRUB boot stage which is more Fedora related than Acer.
Sorry if I was misleading.

> You should say what method you're trying to install (CD, DVD, USB).  And
> have you tried any live discs (they run from the disc, rather than
> install to the drive)?

Upgrading to latest (2.09) BIOS solved the problem. Now I am able to
boot from DVD.

In short. The machine has the following options. Legacy and UEFI boot
mode. In Legacy mode Windows 8 cannot starts. In UEFI mode there is
Secure Boot enabled or disabled. In both UEFI mode the boot process
stuck when GRUB loaded (just a line with "GRUB is loading"). After
BIOS upgrade it works. So there was some problem in Acer BIOS I think.

Bye,