Fedora Live CD Spins - Are They Safe?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 24 12:43:28 UTC 2013

Am 24.01.2013 13:00, schrieb Frank Murphy:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:10:24 -0500
> Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to sort out the rumors I've heard. Among other things:
>> that using a Live Spin CD on an existing Fedora system is not safe,
>> and will destroy all data.
>
> Live CD\DVD are not designed for upgrading.
> Good for testing h\w, rescue, min *DE install
>
>> What is the safest way to upgrade an existing system from F17->F18?
>>

> yum update --releasever=18 from a (level 3 boot)
> Have done it since F13 > F14 > F15 > F16 > F17 > F18

PLEASE BE CAREFUL

"yum update --releasever=18" is NOT enough for a clean dist-upgrade
so do not post it this way because you lead people follow you

you have SURELY not upgraded to F17 this way because UsrMove

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
and there you have for each jump exact instructions
_________________________

"yum update" is NEVER a sane dist-upgrade

you need at least "distro-sync" because if you are doing it
without at the wrong moment and have a newer version of a
critical package on your system as the version you are upgrading
too "distro-sync" will downgrade it while "yum --update" in the
best case will not reslove deps and in the worst case leaves
a incompatible version on your system and depending what package
it is you can have much fun after that

also you have to follow ALL instructions from the wiki
or you are running in danger that yum/rpm or whatever
critical component will no longer work