Fedora Live CD Spins - Are They Safe?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 24 13:41:16 UTC 2013

Am 24.01.2013 14:34, schrieb Fernando Cassia:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> - remove “ro” (read only)
>> - append “rw” (read write) to let dracut mount your root filesystem writeable
>> - remove “rhgb” (Red Hat graphical boot) to disable the graphical bootsplash
>> - append “rd.info” to get a more verbose output from dracut
>> - append “rd.convertfs” to enable the /usr-move conversion script in dracut
>> - append “enforcing=0” to disable SELinux enforcement
>>
>> * reboot
>> * let UsrMove do it's work
>> * make sure the UsrMove-params are removed from grub.conf if set there
>>
>> rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
>> rpm --rebuilddb
>> yum --releasever=17 update rpm
>> rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*
>> rpm --rebuilddb
>> yum --releasever=17 --disableplugin=presto distro-sync
>> fixfiles onboot
>
> Which is why there should be an upgrade script, not a set of "cut and
> paste blobs"

no because the reason for a yum-upgrade is to understand what you are doing
the F16->F17 was additionally IMPOSSIBLE to do with a script

the UsrMove had to be done due a reboot
and there are two ways

* 1: reboot and add the params in GRUB
* 2: edit grub.conf, reboot, edit grub.conf back

1: for a single machine where you sit in front of
2: for a remote machine some hundret kilometers away

have fun with automatic scripts which are assuming what you
want to do in which way and why without knowing your
environment and impacts

90% of my dist-upgrades are production servers and there
will NEVER run any "make me happy script" because it test
things, make snapshots of virtual machines and after figure
out what is the best way the upgrades are done in a well
tested step-by-step with "nearly zero downtime" as final goal