humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jan 24 14:38:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 15:29:23 -0500,
   Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>I think we should keep on a six-month release cycle but also have "epic"
>planning for features across cycles. There was a suggestion at Fudcon to
>move to using point releases, each point with a six-month cycle but with a
>bigger two-year cycle wrapping a series of releases together.

 From the summary I have read from that proposal, it doesn't provide a
solution for how to develop changes that need more than one release to
land while things are changing underneath them. The proposal essentially
ends up syncing the big changes so that none can span the last release of
one series and the first of the next series. I can see that being valuable
if someone was going to use that last release as the basis of a long term
support release, but otherwise it seems to just limit when we can do
changes that span releases.

I'd rather we spent more effort on how figuring out how we can efficiently
develop changes that will take longer than one release to get done.