humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Jan 24 19:18:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:54:27 -0500 Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 08:38:19 -0600
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > I'd rather we spent more effort on how figuring out how we can efficiently
> > develop changes that will take longer than one release to get done.
>
> How about no schedule? When something worth releasing is done, declare
> it is time for a new release. Could be 6 months, could be 2 years.

In general, this is almost (but not exactly) equivalent to a rolling
release model (with a snapshot once in a while). I am all for it,
however, note that troubles with the installer were picked up only
(and could not be otherwise, since this only happens when
installing) when the distribution was released.

I would suggest the beta be announced along with more emphasis on
catastrophic new changes: the change to anaconda and the installer was
announced for sure, but it would have been really worthwhile to have
stressed that the old way of maintaining partitions while installing
was not going to work or perhaps considered in development (this would
have resulted in more people testing the specific aspect of the
install).

I however, personally strongly favor the rolling release model, with
periodic snapshots.

Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional