disable IPv6?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 25 11:26:00 UTC 2013

Am 25.01.2013 10:35, schrieb Frank Elsner:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 04:18:18 +0100 Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 25.01.2013 01:51, schrieb Tom Horsley:
>>> My system at work seems to take a long time to start
>>> the network. I have this suspicion it is waiting for
>>> an IPv6 DHCP server to respond (which won't happen).
>>>
>>> Would putting IPV6INIT=no in the ifcfg-em1 file
>>> make this stop trying to use IPv6, or is there some
>>> other way (this is with good old network, not
>>> NetworkManager)
>>
>> add "ipv6.disable=1" to the kernel params and IPv6 is completly off
>>

> Isn't it
>          net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 ???
>
> I've done it this way. Works

mine is a kernel param
yours is a sysctl.conf setting

there is a big difference between both starting where you config
them, so please do not bring up sysctl params when one speaks about
kernel params without a hint which is understandable for beginners
too and not only people like me which knowing both well

i had all this sysctl-crap if you look in the archive but
services was still listening on "::" and with the kernel param
ipv6 is REALLY completly disabled