rant: cifs utterly screwed in fedora 18

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 12:21:50 UTC 2013

smbd[20596]: WARNING: Ignoring invalid value 'SHARE' for parameter 'security'

This is unacceptably stupid. The guys with the tinfoil hats
who think that connecting a computer to AC power is insecure
have obviously taken over.

It is now utterly impossible to provide a windows share
from a linux box that can be connected without the
windows side asking for credentials.

Nevermind that the entire LAN is isolated behind a
firewall. Nevermind that all users inside that firewall
are trusted and will be pissed off that they constantly
have to provide credentials for no reason. Nevermind
that there is nothing in the shared directory but
things like copies of holiday snapshots. Oh no!
The security geeks need to make sure I'm protected
from myself. Just because it is my computer, my LAN,
and my data is no reason I get to decide how I want
to use it. I'm too ignorant for that.

Now, please use this rant as motivation to prove I'm
wrong by posting a tested, working, smb.conf file that
provides a read/write windows file share which requires
no credentials prompt on the windows box. (Merely
mentioning things you've heard ought to work isn't
useful - I've tried them all - I need a working tested
example).

Sheesh!