Where is the detailed docs on firewalld?

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Fri Jan 25 15:10:04 UTC 2013

On 25.01.2013 14:46, William Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-01-20 at 23:59 -0500, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
>> On 01/20/2013 10:34 PM, David Highley wrote:
>>> If we are expected to switch to firewalld we need to understand in
>>> detail how it works. So far I see a GUI and empty XML files with little
>>> information about how to do anything other than run firewall-cmd to add
>>> or delete specific rules.
>>>
>>> This really needs documentation so we can understand how it works and
>>> maybe compare situations with iptables that we are to migrate from so
>>> that we all do not have to figure this out from scratch. I'm not really
>>> complaining, just think we need more information so we can move forward
>>> and hopefully not make mistakes. Thanks for the help.
>>>
>> I just looked at this a few minutes ago.  The docs (such as they are)
>> are in the fedoraproject Wiki.
>>         https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD/
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>> G.Wolfe Woodbury
>> redwolfe at gmail.com
>>
> The wiki is good for the most part, but critically, documentation
> regarding masquerading is absent. Given that "NAT" is never "straight
> forwards" this should have some detailed documentation added. Otherwise,
> I think it's quite complete on that wiki, and the man page.

I'm not sure that firewalld is the right tool to do NAT. It's something
more like personal/desktop packet filter configuration tool right now.
Maybe in next 2 or 5 years it evolves but looking at NetworkManager
history and it's support for more advanced features like bridging, gives
no such optimistic thoughts. Firewalld is awesome tool for
opening/closing ports when in home, office or airport (or in grocery
store). Other fancy features like NAT are better done by hand with
iptables command. BTW why you need NAT on something else than router?
Fedora is not the best router distro one can find.

Mateusz Marzantowicz