how uncover what and why start chronyd?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Fri Jan 25 18:21:14 UTC 2013

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/25/2013 07:41 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
>> 'systemctl status chrony-wait.service' :
>> chrony-wait.service - Wait for chrony to synchronize system clock
>>           Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/chrony-wait.service; disabled)
>>           Active: inactive (dead)
>>           CGroup: name=systemd:/system/chrony-wait.service
>>
>> It's disabled too. And it looks like this run only chronyc, which
>> perhaps should not start chronyd.(?)
>>
>> One more thing: I have in /etc/rc.d/rc.local called ntpdate with
>> some external servers (1.cz.pool.ntp.org 2.cz.pool.ntp.org
>>  3.cz.pool.ntp.org). But this should not trigger chronyd, yes?
>
> It actually does, at least on my system, probably because it has Requires=chronyd.service.
>
> If I have ntpd.service enabled and only chrony-wait.service and reboot my VM it gets started...
>
> [egreshko at f18x ~]$ systemctl status chronyd.service
> chronyd.service - NTP client/server
>           Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/chronyd.service; disabled)
>           Active: active (running) since Fri 2013-01-25 21:07:17 CST; 1min 1s ago
>          Process: 682 ExecStartPost=/usr/libexec/chrony-helper add-dhclient-servers (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>          Process: 647 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/chronyd -u chrony $OPTIONS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>          Process: 602 ExecStartPre=/usr/libexec/chrony-helper generate-commandkey (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>         Main PID: 676 (chronyd)
>           CGroup: name=systemd:/system/chronyd.service
>                   └─676 /usr/sbin/chronyd -u chrony
>
> [egreshko at f18x ~]$ systemctl status chrony-wait.service
> chrony-wait.service - Wait for chrony to synchronize system clock
>           Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/chrony-wait.service; enabled)
>           Active: active (exited) since Fri 2013-01-25 21:07:47 CST; 1min 8s ago
>          Process: 684 ExecStart=/usr/bin/chronyc waitsync 60 0.1 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>
> [egreshko at f18x ~]$ systemctl status ntpd.service
> ntpd.service - Network Time Service
>           Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/ntpd.service; enabled)
>           Active: inactive (dead)
>
> ntpd didn't get started since it lost the race to get the port.
>
> Anyway, I'd just go ahead and remove chrony from the system if you're not going to use it.

Thus I have not skip over, but creep under? In this case uninstalling
chronyd isn't problem, but I can imagine some situation where I want
some service being installed, but started only in specific situations.
Apparently is time for learning how debug and live with D-bus.

Present Fedora advancement fairly shrink me, as there is several
things which are unfinished, unreliable and erroneous in certain
situations (in particular systemd, pulseaudio, sssd, d-bus, ...).
I hope they are cripled only by implementation, not by design; and
situation will be with time better... In other case we will have
there unstable bastard like windows (now just binary logs are
missing;) - I sometimes say oneself, whether at Linux now aren't
working designated/canned peoples from windows ;)