FC18 - host name not set from DHCP?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jan 25 19:26:24 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 25.01.2013 19:50, schrieb Bill Davidsen:
>> When I boot my test machine, it goes to DHCP and gets a name and IP. The IP is correctly assigned, but the name is
>> still localhost.localdomain. Now I could change that in hostname, but that means I have to do the job of dhcp by
>> hand, and that's not the way it should work.
>>
>> 1 - has anyone else seen this issue?
>> 2 - is it a bug?
>> 3 - if not a bug, how do I fix it.
>>
>> Note: this works in my fc16 and fc17 machines on the same network. It worked fine on this machine under fc17, so
>> I'm fairly sure the server and config are what worked
>
> i guess that has something to do with systemd or Networkmanager
> only a hint where to search - no dynamic IPs in my life :-)

Yes, not only dynamic IPs, but dynamic names as well, there's the rub. When I
redeploy hardware it will get a new name. Well, it used to get a new name,
something odd here, that localhost name just doen's want to go away.

I'll find it, hoping someone would beat me to it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>