Sound gone from yum upgrade from F17->F18

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri Jan 25 22:29:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:34:59 +0100 Andras Simon <szajmi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2013/1/25, Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com>:
>
> > Funny, I don't see anyone who has reported this problem on F18 in the

 If by "this problem" you mean audio problem, then you might have
noticed these:

> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/429233.html
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/429234.html
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-January/429270.html

No, I did not, thanks!

For me:

$ cat /dev/snd/controlC0

returns

cat: /dev/snd/controlC0: File descriptor in bad state

$ ll /dev/snd/controlC0

crw-rw----+ 1 root audio 116, 8 Jan 25 15:57 /dev/snd/controlC0

$ aplay -l
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel
82801DB-ICH4] Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958
[Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - IEC958] Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So, I suspect that this is a bit of a different problem?

Anyway, when I do the following:

$lxmusic personal/Music/white_stones/windancer.mp3

** (lxmusic:2181): WARNING **: on_playback_volume_changed: couldn't get
volume

I get no sound, but pavucontrol lights up on playback:

Specifically, an entry comes up under XMMS2 and the volume is shown
under playback.

Under output devices, I only have "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"

and Port: "Analog Mono Output Amplifier" (out of possible choices,
the above and Analog Mono Output No Amplifier, LFE on Separate Mono
Output/Amplifier and LFE on Separate Mono Output/No Amplifier).

Under Configuration, I have "Built-in Audio" with Profile "Analog
Stereo Duplex" (out of possible choices, that and Analog Stereo
Output/Input and Off).

Btw,
/usr/lib/xcdroast/bin/wavplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/alarm.wav

** (process:2224): WARNING **: Can't init sound-system

I did check to ensure that the speakers were connected.

Any further suggestions/help?

Ranjan