disable IPv6?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 22:45:29 UTC 2013

Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> writes:
> On 01/24/2013 10:22 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> said:
>>> My system at work seems to take a long time to start
>>> the network. I have this suspicion it is waiting for
>>> an IPv6 DHCP server to respond (which won't happen).
>> It looks like the F18 install writes out ifcfg-* files with
>> "DHCPV6C=yes", which should probably not be set by default, especially
>> since so few environments (even IPv6 environments) will have a IPv6 DHCP
>> server.  Comment out that line or set it to "no" and it should fix the
>> slowdown.
>
> RA will be more common.  That is what I have.

+1

Belts and suspenders: check both.

The ISP's that give you IPv6 addresses (Comcast for one) will also use
dhcp to give you a whole 64-bit network of addresses via DHCP-PD.

I'm curious how many of the people that are disabling their IPv6
actually have painless access to IPv6 and are ignoring it.

-wolfgang
--
g+:  https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/about