F18 sound issue

Frédéric Bron frederic.bron at m4x.org
Sat Jan 26 08:25:53 UTC 2013

I am using F18 + KDE on a notebook.
I have an nvidia video card (GeForce GTX 560M) which inclues HDMI
support but I am not using the HDMI output, only the internal screen
and speakers.
On F17, everything was fine.
On F18, the keyboard volume buttons (stop, more, less) do not work
anymore. I can see the box with percentage changing and sound/no sound
icon but it does not do anything.
Also, when I click in the panel volume icon (KMix), I can see that HDA
nvidia digital stereo (HDMI) is selected but I do not want to use that
one, I want to use the internal speaker.
Also, pluging a headset do not work properly.
In KMix control panel, I see that HDA NVidia is selected for "sound
card" but if I choose Internal audio, it comes back later to HDA
NVidia.
I do not know what to do to have this working normally.
I see from another thread that maybe this could be related to
pulseaudio. It seems pulseaudio is not working for me:
$ pulseaudio --check
gives empty output.
$ ps ux|grep puseaudio
gives nothing either (as root)