FC18 install - doesn't offer other OS on the drive

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Jan 27 04:39:15 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 26.01.2013 18:26, schrieb Bill Davidsen:
>> I avoid editing the grub.cfg file for three reasons:
>>    1 - I don't know what I'm doing, if magic is needed the install/upgrade
>>        should be the magician. The average users knows way less than I do
>>        about system setup
>>    2 - The last time I did the system wound up being a totally unbootable
>>        recovery adventure. See #1
>>    3 - every kernel upgrade seems to rebuild the config file, making
>>        change a brief success.
>
> 3 is completly untrue

The modification date on the file and it's contents change. Since I have never
been able to get it to add either fc17 (separate boot and root) or XP in a
partition, I couldn't investigate what it was changing, but it does get rebuilt,
which is what I based my statement on, I actually looked. If having it change
doesn't meet you criteria from being rebuilt I think that's splitting hairs.

If someone could tell me how to get it to boot any of the preinstalled OS on the
drive, I could do better testing. Better yet I could upgrade and move on.

> until now after kernel updates grubby is adding the new one to grub config
> and taking any chnage you made in the previous one to the new entry
>
> only "grub2-mkconfig" is creating a complete new config
> with all this submenu crap and so on
> for kernel params "/etc/default/grub" is your friend here

I am not a guru on grub2, when I did this with fc16 along with fc14, both
appeared, I was asked (my notes don't say if it was a question or menu) if I
wanted to boot fc14. That was good, the current "ignore the other stuff" doesn't
seem like an optimal install interface, Fedora users tend to be technical, but
having to hack grub2 is a hard learning curve. BTW: copying stanzas from the old
grub2 didn't seem to work, system just didn't boot.

Thanks for the input.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>