XFCE Weather app can't find me - FC18

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jan 27 05:38:15 UTC 2013

On 01/27/2013 01:00 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I think I have the extra apps loaded for xfce, but the weather app searching for something near Schenectady NY just says "Searching" and does nothing visible. FC17 found a station on Libarty St, three blocks from me, which updates frequently. What did I forget to install?
>
> I noticed that fc17 had libgweather installed, so I added it in case the dependency was missed. No change. So either the applet is broken or they are using a much smaller list, or it's broken. Before I submit a bug, I'll ask here if I'm just doing it wrong.

I don't often use xfce, but you got me curious.

Are you talking about the xfce4-weather-plugin?  I installed that in both F17 and F18 and added it to the panel.  In both cases, it automatically found what it thought was my location and gave me weather.

However, in both cases if I try to change the location it goes to "searching..." no matter what I enter and never returns anything....even if I use a very common city such as New York.....