Optimization Start Up of Fedora

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Jan 27 19:16:43 UTC 2013

Junk wrote:

> On 27 Jan 2013, at 10:32, carachi diego <carachi83 at gmail.com
> <mailto:carachi83 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi everbody,
>> I would like to know if someone knows where I can find some guide, tutorial
>> that can help me to improve the performance of Fedora on my laptop in start up.
>>
>> I think that I need to recompile the kernel and dress it on my computer and
>> remove all unnecessary services. It is true?
>>
>> Where I can find some additional information??
>>

>> Thank you very much
>> Bye
>>
>> --
>
> I've had a quick look at this for Fedora 17 and it seems pretty good albeit
> brutal and unrealistic
>
> http://www.harald-hoyer.de/personal/blog/fedora-17-boot-optimization-from-15-to-3-seconds
>
> Probably the most useful tip is Don't Use LVM.

Unless the laptop is a toy, I would encrypt either /home or the whole root with
home, depending on how you have it set up. Laptops do get lost or stolen, even
if you have nothing financial, there are probably things which are no one's
business but your own. Mailing addresses, mail people sent you, passwords to
mail accounts, maybe social media accounts?

Booting with no services saves time to login prompt, what is time to useful system?

One of the reasons I stick with Fedora is that they have made the effort to make
selinux work on the system, something I feel adds a layer of security worth a
few seconds at boot. That's my priority, it may not be yours.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>