humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Jan 27 21:11:29 UTC 2013

On 01/27/2013 12:18 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> I would have to agree with you James, it might not be a bad idea for
> them to stretch their release time out a bit? I would have positives
> from all sides. First,....the developers would be able to REALLY put
> their apps and what-not through a GRUELING testing session, this
> way...when they say it works.....IT WORKS!

Up until about F15, it was generally enough.  Now, however, it looks as
though new packages and re-writes of old ones are being accepted "ready
or not."  I'm not involved in that, so I'm only guessing, but it looks
to me as though things are ear-marked for a specific version
unconditionally, and the entire Fedora user base suffers because they're
not really ready on time.  I don't know what can be done about it,
because I understand that nobody ever wants to be working on a package
that might not be kept, but the problem needs to be addressed.  Possibly
there might be one version where (if practical) the two packages are run
in parallel: e.g., have both the old init and the new sysctrl installed
but only one of them active, set by a kernel param.  Then, after there's
time to work out the early bugs, switch over completely.  I've no idea
how that would work for anaconda, of course, or even if it would work at
all, but at least I'm looking for ways to make it better instead of just
complaining.  (BTW, an example of this actually being done is Gnome 3's
fallback mode.)