How to do backups to an external disk inside emergency mode

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 21:35:04 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 08:37:31PM +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My hard disk seems to be corrupted, and my machine cannot boot.
> > However, it can enter into emergency mode.
> >
> > I would like to mount my home directory and also an external disk to
> > do all necessary backups. How can I accomplish that?
>
> Please, ignore my question -- I am now doing the backups with the live CD.

Well, if your hard disk is failing whatever backup you do might just be
useless.  After all backups are done *before* things fail :-p.

I would suggest you try data recovery.  For hints you can look here:

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/377478/match=suvayu+ddrescue>

GL,

--
Suvayu