Display rates -

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 23:15:49 UTC 2013

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:54:32 -0500
"Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA" <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> On 01/27/2013 01:57 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> > xrandr -q
>
> No that just shows the same thing, the equipment is rated much
> higher.
>
> [root at Box9 xorg.conf.d]# xrandr -q
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 8192
> x 8192 DVI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
> VGA-0 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x
> axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
> 1024x768       60.0*
> 800x600        60.3     56.2
> 848x480        60.0
> 640x480        59.9
>
> And I have had no success with the commands to change it like:
>
> $xrandr --output LVGA --mode 1680x1050 --rate 60
>
> Which just gets a help screen, obviously I'm doing something wrong
> out of ignorance.

Ok, that won't work for two reasons: (1) you misspelled "LVGA", it
should be "VGA-0", and (2) the X server failed to detect your monitor
resolutions properly.

The latter is the real problem. Start by posting the output of

  lspci | grep VGA

so that we know which graphics hardware you have. Then, tell us if you
are using any KVM-like equipment between the monitor and the computer.
If you do, disconnect it and connect the monitor directly to the
graphics card. Next, post the output of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if there is
one), and possibly the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ . Finally, send
us the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log (it can be big, maybe put it in
pastebin and send us the link).

The /var/log/Xorg.0.log is the most important piece, it can be very
helpful if you know where to look. :-)

After we examine the logs, and find the real reason why your monitor's
resolutions aren't properly detected, then we can discuss how to fix
the issue best and what (if anything) to put into xorg.conf, etc.

Troubleshooting X issues always starts with the hardware, the graphics
drivers and the log files.

HTH, :-)
Marko