humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 01:04:30 UTC 2013

On 01/27/2013 08:00 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:55:24 +1100 Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> People,
>>

>>> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:18:40 -0500
>>> From: "Eddie G. O'Connor Jr." <eoconnor25 at gmail.com>
>>> To: Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>>> Subject: Re: humble suggestion to Fedora developers

>>> I would have to agree with you James, it might not be a bad idea for
>>> them to stretch their release time out a bit? I would have positives
>>> from all sides. First,....the developers would be able to REALLY put
>>> their apps and what-not through a GRUELING testing session, this
>>> way...when they say it works.....IT WORKS! Second,.....the public
>>> wouldn't find themselves scurrying to acquire the latest version, and
>>> slamming it onto their machines without knowing that things won't
>>> crash
>>> & burn un-necessarily......also it would give the public time to
>>> "adapt"
>>> and become comfortable with the latest release, instead of going into
>>> shock at the arrival of a new desktop environment...or new
>>> feature-sets
>>> that were not there before. I guess it's just a matter of someone (or
>>> LOT of someone's) voicing their opinion loud enough to be heard by the
>>> higher-ups? I don't know that they would actually change things around
>>> like that....(it would be NICE!) but eventually they might get
>>> restless
>>> enough to completely flip thing around and have longer time frames
>>> between releases.
>>
>> Maybe we should try out, say, a nine month cycle and if it doesn't suit
>> put off things when there is more time to get them done . .
> But the rush to release will still be there, whether it is a 6- or 9-
> or 12-month cycle? At the point of release, inadequately-tested new
> features may still be a problem, no?
>
> I think a more reliable approach is to have a rolling release model,
> with periodic snapshot RPMs in a cycle? The periodic snapshots could be
> benchmark-based, so no specific time schedule, rather than
> calendar-based?
>
> Ranjan

> FREE 3D MARINE AQUARIUM SCREENSAVER - Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your desktop!
> Check it out at http://www.inbox.com/marineaquarium

Now THIS sounds feasible, and it would make for a smoother transition
from one release to the next! I wonder whom I would have to speak
to.....to see if this could be done? Or is it a group thing?.....would I
direct something like this towards the kernel maintainers?....the
admins?.....who would get "the call"?...

EGO II