humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jan 28 03:41:18 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 16:44:57 -0500,
   "Eddie G. O'Connor Jr." <eoconnor25 at gmail.com> wrote:
>I like your ideas J.Z....(LoL!) like I know of a few distros that
>have their "long term support" versions that are stable, and the
>packages and apps have all been tested and have been proven to work.

There has been at least one abortive attempt to do that. There hasn't been
enough interest to make this happen. Backporting fixes to releases (of
packages) that are no longer supported upstream is a lot of work. If
packagers had to commit to doing this for every package for multiple
years of support we'd end up with a lot less poackages in Fedora.

One or two people aren't going to make that happen. You'd need a lot of
people willing to commit to doing this. And in the, probably not many
people who use the stable releases. I think people are attracted to Fedora
for the new shiny stuff and people that want stable running RHEL clones or
distros where the ratio of paid work to volunteer work is a lot higher.