Holding down the power button when the systems freezes

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jan 29 01:38:24 UTC 2013

On 01/28/2013 05:31 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> When the machine freezes, try pressing Alt-SysRq-b to force a reboot, if
> the kernel is still alive, somewhere. This will still require a
> filesystem repair, but at least it'll save wear/tear on the hard drives.

In an ext3/ext4 filesystem, journaling will often correct any errors
without needing to fsck; if not, the system will do it on its own at
boot.  And, if the Magic SysRq is working, using Alt-SysRq-s will force
a sync before forcing a boot.  I need to do ^Alt-SysRq to get it to work
and then, only if the system hasn't locked up.