iptables bug? (Was RE: F18: post-friday updates + ssh ports + iptables)

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Tue Jan 29 04:00:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 04:00:05 +0100 Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu
+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 08:23:11PM -0600, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 03:01:30 +0100 Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu
> > +linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am not sure how to figure out what were in those updates. Is there a
> > way? I am not even sure that this is an iptables issue, only that
> > restarting it appears to be resolving the problem (namely that ssh is
> > set to access through the standard port, which is disabled in favor of
> > the non-standard port in the ssd_config).
> >

>   # yum history list
>   # yum history info <transaction id>

These are what were updated on Friday:

Transaction performed with:
    Installed     rpm-4.10.2-1.fc18.i686                        @updates
    Installed     yum-3.4.3-47.fc18.noarch                      @fedora
    Installed     yum-metadata-parser-1.1.4-7.fc18.i686         @fedora
    Updated       yum-plugin-fastestmirror-1.1.31-6.fc18.noarch @fedora
    Installed     yum-presto-0.9.0-1.fc18.noarch                @fedora
Packages Altered:
    Updated dracut-024-18.git20130102.fc18.i686      @fedora
    Update         024-23.git20130118.fc18.i686      @updates
    Updated mdadm-3.2.6-7.fc18.i686                  @updates
    Update        3.2.6-12.fc18.i686                 @updates
    Updated parted-3.1-9.fc18.i686                   @fedora
    Update         3.1-10.fc18.i686                  @updates
    Updated xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-1:1.0.3-1.fc18.i686 @fedora
    Update                       1:1.0.6-1.fc18.i686 @updates
history info

> F18 uses firewalld by default instead of iptables.  Maybe you need to
> open those non-standard ssh ports for firewalld?  To do that you need to
> install firewall-config.
>
>   # yum install firewall-config

So, this is installed. I will look into this, but this does not explain
why the ssh worked ok on Thursday.

Ranjan