How to do backups to an external disk inside emergency mode

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 29 13:50:45 UTC 2013

Tim:
> > That's really not a good way to gauge it.  Some time ago I swore of
> > Western Digital drives, after having several drives die within a couple
> > of years.

Ed Greshko:
> And then there are folks such has myself who have nearly swore off
> Seagate drives for similar short life episodes but have WD drives
> running for years.

I'm going to guess that most manufacturers have developed a bad
reputation for themselves, at some time or other.  (IBM deathstars,
anyone?)  You never quite trust them, after those sort of experiences.
Yet it's a fair bet that over time, technology and manufacturing changes
will be very different from one batch of drives, to another.  And even
more so for different drives over the years.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.11-5.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jan 8 21:40:51 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.