Holding down the power button when the systems freezes

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Tue Jan 29 14:51:33 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 03:28 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 28 January 2013, Sam Varshavchik sent:
>> 1) The hard drive does an emergency park of the R/W head. That does
>> incur some cost, in terms of wear and tear.
>
> Are there any consumer hard drives that still do a controlled park,
> rather than just get switched off?

If you look at a drive's SMART attributes, you will probably see separate
"Power Cycle Count" and a lower "Power-Off Retract Count".  Or, perhaps
not -- depending on the drive and, of course, how it's been shut down.
I have one drive that, even when it is already spun down in standby, will
make an audible click and peg the Power-Off Retract Count when power is
turned off. The rest of mine do not.

                 Do NOT delete it.