Lack of things in Gimp

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jan 29 16:45:44 UTC 2013

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 09:02:34 -0200,
>    Lailah <lailahfsf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>>            I found that Gimp in Fedora has less functions that in other
>> distributions  (like Fuduntu or Ubuntu).  In example, I can find video
>> and animation edition, and a lot of scripts.
>>
>> Why is this happening?  How can I solve it?
>
> These sound like features that need patented codecs that can't be freely
> redistributed.

Either that or the purity of the license might be in question. Fedora not only
insists that it be legal, but politically correct, for some value of PC which
equates to "under a license we approve" like GPL.

I have a bunch of laptops I would love to have on Fedora, but Fedora doesn't
include the drivers, rpmfusion has them, but the Live-CD and install kernels in
fc18 don't match the driver, I can't D/L drivers because I don't have the
drivers, if I did I could download but wouldn't need to. Perfect example of
Catch 22.

If the Fedora team saw this as a problem, they would arrange to have rpmfusion
keep drivers available for the obsolete kernels in the media as well as the
current kernels you get with upgrade. At least for Broadcom and Ralink (net) and
Radeon and Nvidia (video). Those are probably the most widely used hardware
bits, and without the driver installed you can't upgrade and maybe your video
only works in text mode. Assuming you can even find a driver for the old kernels.

Sorry for the rant, but I have wasted hours trying to find the drivers to
download, putting them on the USB drive, and then being told that I need yet
another rpm. And MINT just booted with all the drivers in place, ready to
install. I haven't given up, but lack of a "Fedora Live-CD" repo for the bits
needed to install would sure make life easier.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>