telnetd mystery ....

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Jan 30 06:42:12 UTC 2013

Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko <at> greshko.com> writes:

> On 01/29/2013 10:19 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:46:58AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
<SNIP>
> >> Has anyone configured telnetd for use on F18?
<SNIP>
> > I just did, and I didn't add -D, but I did change "disabled = yes" to "no"
> > in the telnet xinetd config. And it just worked.
>
> Thanks for testing.
>
> That is what I did too....  And it fails as described.   I'm stumped.

Seeing the same problem here that Ed saw.  I am seeing one interesting twist
that Ed didn't mention.  If I start the telnet server on my F18 box with
something like "server_args = -D report", I can login locally.  If I try to log
in from a different box, I get a "no route to host" message which is bogus since
I can ping the F18 system or ssh to it.  I messed with hosts.allow and
hosts.deny but didn't see any change.

Maybe the problem isn't in telnetd but in tcp wrappers instead.

All testing is being done with iptables stopped and SELinux in permissive mode.

Cheers,
Dave