telnetd mystery ....

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Jan 30 07:17:59 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 10:44 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I just installed the f17 rpm on the f18 system and it fails in the
> same way.

I never asked... Does telnetd work on F17 or would we have to go back
further to find a working version?

> Sorry, not looking for a replacement.

You don't need to apologize to me.  It was just a suggestion.  The older
system you're trying to support almost certainly has rsh, and as far as
I know, rsh is a simpler protocol, which makes it more secure than
telnet in some respects and less prone to weird problems like this one.

> Their
> management would probably prefer they used RHEL or CentOS anyway.

Which is probably sound advice. :)