former windows 7 boot manager still showing

Raf Roger raf.news at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:55:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Kevin Martin <ktmdms at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/30/13 12:11, Raf Roger wrote:
> > i tried it and still have the windows boot manager when my HDD boot :(
> instead of having "system not found" (which is the typicall
> > message when boot sector is not found in windows)
> >
> > any other idea than "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1" ? i
> also tried with bs=512, but still not successfull :(
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Raf Roger <raf.news at gmail.com <mailto:
> raf.news at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Patrick,
> >
> >     in fact i can delete everything on this HDD as i formatted
> it...backup was done before :)
> >     i just found also something similar.
> >
> >     |dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1|
> >
> >     where /dev/sda should be replaced by my HDD value.
> >

> >     On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Patrick Lists <
> fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl <mailto:fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl>>
> wrote:
> >
> >         On 01/30/2013 06:13 PM, Raf Roger wrote:
> >
> >             Hi,
> >
> >             i formatted my HDD where before i had windows 7 installed,
> in order to
> >             install new fedora 18.
> >             however after fedora installation, HDD does not boot on grub
> but still
> >             on former windows boot manager.
> >
> >             How ca i do to REALLY remove this stupid windows 7 boot
> manager ?
> >             thx
> >

> http://www.linuxquestions.org/__questions/linux-newbie-8/__using-dd-to-zero-the-mbr-__query-606489/
> >         <
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/using-dd-to-zero-the-mbr-query-606489/
> >

> >         Make sure you don't delete data you do not want to lose. You do
> have a backup of your important data right?
> >
> >         Regards,
> >         Patrick
> >

> > <snip>
>
> Raf,
>
> Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread.
>
> Next, do you happen to have a 2nd hard drive in the machine you are trying
> to boot (perhaps that has the Windows boot loader on
> it?)?  How big is the drive you are trying to dd?  Try any one of these to
> get to a non-bootable drive:
>
> To wipe just the MBR:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo bs=512 count=1
>
> To wipe all of track zero:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo bs=512 count=63
>
> "Zero out" the entire drive:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo
>
> You'll need to replace foo with the appropriate device (hda, sda, etc).
>
> Kevin
>

> --

Sorry Kevin,

top post is a standard behavior of gmail :( so sorry for that.
on that computer i have 6 HDD...all others are windows formatted HDD but
none has a boot...

but in former windows 7 my actual SDB was as first HDD in disk manager, so
with ID=0.. now it has ID=1 (so as 2nd HDD), but still not bootable.
in fact none should have a boot manager as my REAL former C:\ drive has
crashed and therefore i replace it with the one i have now as SDA :)

I hope it is clearer :-/