Optimization Start Up of Fedora

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:25:03 UTC 2013

carachi diego <carachi83 at gmail.com> writes:
> Yes the SSD is a possible solution to reduce the boot time, but I am
> in doubt for the writng circle of the SSD because it is very few than
> a magnetic HDD...

Just get an Intel 520 series at least twice the size you need and wear
out won't be a problem.

The biggest problem is when people fill the SSD to near capacity and the
SSD firmware has to do excessive juggling because there aren't enough
free blocks.  The SSD has to clean a whole write block (~ 1MByte or
more) and juggle things around.  (keyword: write amplification).

> What about load the kernel and operating system on RAM? I see that it
> is possible load with grub all in memory and if I understand well
> after the operating system became very faster. Someone try to do that?
> Maybe increase the time of booting but after you have a very faster
> computer...
> What do you thing about this?

Sounds useful.  You'll have to write it though.  Slapping in an SSD is
simple and doesn't require you to write any home-grown code.

-wolfgang
--
g+:  https://plus.google.com/114566345864337108516/about