Upgrade disaster F16->F17 (planned to go to F18)

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jan 31 03:06:10 UTC 2013

Wade Hampton writes:

> « HTML content follows »
> I finally decided to update my main home computer to F18.
> It was F16 so I had to use preupgrade to go to F17.  After
> several reboots it is up, sort-of, on the F16 kernel.  I have
> had the following problems.
>

> 1) Preupgrade crashed due to moodle -- removed and update proceeded.
>

> 2) After update, I still saw option for update to F17 in Grub and none of the
>      other kernels would boot (other than dracut errors).  I did the F17
> update
>      again and it seemed to fix Grub.  However....
>

> 3) I now have options for:
>         3.7.3-101.fc17.x86_64
>          -- booting this sends me to a command prompt in dracut
>         3.6.11-1.fc16.x86_64
>         -- this boots but has issues
>

> I am currently running the mostly-updated system with the F16 kernel
> 3.6.11-1.fc16.x86_64.   I can not run YUM so I can't even attempt
> to try going to F18 (unless I manually get the RPMs...).
>

> Any idea on how I can fix YUM?
>

>      # cat /etc/redhat-release
>     Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle)
>

>     # yum update
>
>     Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
>     Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: fedora/16/x86_64. Please
> verify its path and try again
>
> Any idea how I can fix grub to boot into the F17 kernel?

First, run

rpm --rebuilddb

This will run a consistency check on the RPM database. Then run

rpm -q fedora-release

Your yum error suggests that you have fedora-release-16 installed,
irrespective of what your motd announces. If so, mount the F17 install
media, go into the Packages/f directory and run

rpm -UvhF fedora-release*

to manually update your fedora-release package to 17. The run

rpm -q kernel

This will list all the kernel packages you have installed. Presuming that
you have indeed booted an older F16 kernel, after running

rpm -e kernel-<version>-<release>

naming the specific F17 kernel package that croaks when you try to boot,
this should remove it.

After which you should be able to yum update to the most recent kernel
package, and any other packages that need to be updated.