Lack of things in Gimp

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jan 31 04:16:38 UTC 2013

| From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>

| I have a bunch of laptops I would love to have on Fedora, but Fedora doesn't
| include the drivers, rpmfusion has them, but the Live-CD and install kernels
| in fc18 don't match the driver, I can't D/L drivers because I don't have the
| drivers, if I did I could download but wouldn't need to. Perfect example of
| Catch 22.

Purity is problematic.  Things have been getting better, but not
monotonically.  Requiring 3D is something that has mmade things worse.
Still, purity is fighting the good fight; Ubuntu's lack of purity
reduces the effectiveness of the boycott.

Sometimes I'm pure, sometimes I cheat and run Ubuntu (usually for
other people) (but even Ubuntu screws up drivers sometimes).

For video, the trick is to say "nomodeset" on the kernel boot line.
Then it uses VGA framebuffer (because most real drivers now insist on
modesetting and you are forbidding that). Usually that's good enough
to get up to speed.  I think you then have to scrape the "nomodeset"
out of /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to get the new video drivers to kick in.

I don't know what you do for missing networking drivers.  I usually
don't have trouble with wired interfaces.  If wired AND wireless don't
work, you're doubly cursed.  If desperate, I guess you could get a
supported USB ethernet or WiFi dongle and use it until the updates kick in.
You'd only need one dongle to service your whole fleet.